Hello folks. This is Lissy. We have a large extended family that get together for the holidays. We exchange gifts, but we also do so much more, things that don’t cost money and that have become yearly traditions. Take advantage of having friends or family around and, instead of sitting in front of the TV, try the following.
- Play games, Our family is big on games Apples to Apples, Curses and HeadBanz are just a few of the games we play on a regular basis and that are fun for both adults and children.
- Sing carols or better yet, go caroling.
- Walk or drive around the neighborhood and look at the light displays.
- If you are lucky to have snow – have a snowball fight, make snow angels or build a snowman.
- Volunteer at a shelter or charity. This will make you feel better than all the rest put together, plus it helps others and reminds us to be thankful for all we have.
- Roast marshmallows over an open fire, or an indoor one if it’s freezing outside.
- Tell funny stories of Christmas’ past.
- If you live in a cold climate – go ice-skating on your local frozen pond. If you live in a warm climate – go for a hike along your local Greenbelt. Helps get rid of some of those turkey calories.
- Read ‘Twas The Night Before Christmas’ – my dad does this every year before we head to bed on Christmas Eve and everyone gathers around the fire to listen.
- Take photos. Always a good time to take lots of group shots of you and your cousins, aunts and uncles which will be fun to look back on when you get older.